THIMA Scholarship Program
Several scholarships are available annually through THIMA to Tennessee students who are planning a career in Health Information Management (HIM).
The following scholarships are awarded each year:
- The THIMA Foundation Scholarship
- The Natalie Stovall Frady Memorial Scholarship (funded by Natalie’s Run and individual donations). Veteran military service members from the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses of veterans or active duty military members are given special consideration for this Scholarship.
Scholarship awards range from a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $1,000 based upon available funds and the number of qualified applicants.
If other scholarships are funded by exhibitors or other corporations, they will be administered by THIMA following this policy. Each scholarship will be given to assist students in Tennessee who are enrolled in and have completed 50% of an Associate, Baccalaureate, or Masters Degree in HIM or Health Informatics. Candidates must be residents of the State of Tennessee, and they must be attending a CAHIIM-accredited HIA/HIT/Informatics program in Tennessee.
Candidates for the scholarship must submit applications using the online process through the THIMA web site. The decision to award the scholarship is made by the THIMA Foundation Council. The use of the award is left to the discretion of the recipient; funds may be used for school expense, registration exam fee, meeting attendance, or any other activity that assists the student in her/his education.
The online scholarship application and Program Director verification must be submitted by February 15th. All applications must be submitted electronically.
The following must be submitted:
- The Online Scholarship Application: Please note that you will have the ability to save the application and return to work on it again at a later time. You will see “Save and continue scholarship application later“ beginning on the second page. Click here to view a PDF version of the scholarship application so you can see the required information.The applicant’s official transcript will be uploaded on the online scholarship application form.Two personal online letters of reference (other than family, clergy, or program director) will be uploaded on the online scholarship application. Candidates are encouraged to obtain one of the two personal letters from a clinical instructor.
- Online statement from the Program Director that includes verification of enrollment and 50% completion of the program. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide the Program Director the link to the online statement from the Program Director.
Applicants will be judged on the basis of:
- information on application form
- employment record
- financial needs
Recipients will be selected by February 22.
All applicants will be notified of the decision by the Executive Director.