Hamilton County Government
The Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department is a tobacco and nicotine free campus. The Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department prohibits the hiring of individuals who use tobacco or nicotine products in any form. All individuals who are offered a position with the Health Department are screened for tobacco or nicotine use as part of the post-offer health screening. Individuals whose post-offer health screening results are verified positive for tobacco or nicotine use will be disqualified from employment, their job offers will be withdrawn, and they will be disqualified from employment with the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department for one (1) year from the date of the post-offer health screening.
DEFINITION: Under general supervision, oversees the day to day supervision of medical records systems and information and Medical Records staff, and provides oversight of the Vital Records Department, directly supervising the Vital Records Supervisor. .
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
Establishes and maintains medical and client record systems, managing the electronic medical record system, in accordance with law, regulation, standard practice and Health Department policy; assures accuracy of coding for all medical encounters according to I-CD10 and CPT-4 coding standards; provides training for staff on related topics. Acts as an information resource for Health Department staff.
Acts as the Health Department’s HIPAA Compliance Officer and Privacy Officer. Works with legal counsel and Health Department management to ensure the organization complies with all HIPAA regulations as they evolve. As the Privacy Officer maintains appropriate privacy policies, forms, notices, and other documentation reflecting compliance with current legal requirements. Ensures delivery of privacy training to all members of the workforce. Serves as the contact person responsible for receiving privacy complaints and providing further information.
Engages in quality assurance efforts through committees and record reviews; maintains the Medical Record/PSR Manual and privacy/information policies, and contributes to reviewing other policies, practices and protocols as needed. Makes decisions as to whether or not to release medical record information based on law, regulation, standard practice and Health Department policy.
Manages the Medical Records Department and associated staff and oversees the Vital Records Department, directly supervising the Vital Record Supervisor, including hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating their work. Conducts Medical Record Department audits to assure the quality, quantity and timeliness of the work performed. Interviews candidates and recommends new hires; prioritizes schedules and assigns work to managers and supervisors; counsels staff on personnel issues; develops action corrective plans and disciplines in accordance with established Hamilton County Personnel rules, policies and procedures; approves sick, annual and personal leave; approves training expenses for staff continuing education and development. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of federal, state and county laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, policies, practices and procedures related to medical record retention and retrieval.
- Knowledge of medical record systems, including electronic medical records systems, and information methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervision practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of customer service/public relations practices.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software, and peripherals.
- Knowledge of general office practices and equipment.
- Knowledge of auditing methods and practices.
- Knowledge of training methods and practices.
- Skill maintaining, retrieving and releasing medical records.
- Skill prioritizing, scheduling, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill utilizing computerized systems.
- Skill training medical staff in practices, procedures and protocols related to medical records.
- Skill utilizing verbal and written communication in the development and presentation of reports, reviews, audits, and training.
- Skill utilizing customer service techniques when responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill effectively communicating in both oral and written form.
A bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management or related field and Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification plus five (5) years of experience in Health Information Management, two of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity (a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification with (7) seven years experience may be considered). Prior experience should include progressively responsible supervisory work.
Work requires extensive computer keyboarding, intermittent sitting, walking and standing, lifting, bending, stooping and kneeling, use of step stools, carrying up to 35 pounds, and filing documents with potential exposure to infectious diseases.
|AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hamilton County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services. A copy of Hamilton County’s Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP) Utilization Report is available on www.HamiltonTN.gov/HumanResources.
**Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without advance notice.
Apply Online: http://hamiltontn.gov/HumanResources/Career/Default.aspx