Dear THIMA Members and Fellow Colleagues:
Over the last several days, THIMA leadership has discussed the coronavirus situation and heavily weighed in on how this could affect the makeup of our annual meeting. The situation changes hour by hour which has made it impossible to accurately assess risk. Many recent developments have led to dialog with regard to options for our members and how we can ensure that we are still able to provide you with the information and CEs that you rely upon.
We have every intention of moving forward with our in person meeting in Knoxville, TN. However, we are also being diligent in setting up virtual options in the event that the risk increases, and we are unable to physically be present together.
We have opted out of postponing or cancelling the meeting entirely due to the fact that, not only is it fiscally irresponsible and would have detrimental impact on THIMA as an organization, but because we have also received information that the virus will potentially peak and decline and peak again over the next several months into November.
In the event that we end up taking things virtual, the online access will allow for **more** than the outlined educational CEUs that your registration fee covers because you will have access to ALL track sessions instead of only one per time slot.
As I draft this letter, we have similar correspondence going out to all speakers and exhibitors with asks that they provide a recorded version in the event that we go virtual.
We hope that you will understand our predicament and reasoning behind the inability to cancel or postpone at this time. Because we are so close to the meeting date, we must still pay for all the expenses surrounding the conference – and if we were to refund all the attendee registrations, in addition to exhibitor booth fees, and pay for those expenses – our small association may no longer exist due to the financial impact. We are committed to providing you with the meeting content in person or virtually.
The health of our attendees, exhibitors, speakers and staff is a top priority. At this time, we are still planning to see you in Knoxville, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate this very unique situation.
NOTE: If you have already registered or plan to register soon, please see our cancellation policy on the THIMA website: https://thima.org/annualmeeting/terms-and-conditions/
Jamie Glenn, RHIA